Tips to plan your Shirakawa-go and Takayama trip



Just a few days before Christmas in end December 2016, winter at 5 degrees, 5:15pm landed in Nagoya airport, my first solo trip journey has started. Shirakawa-go and Takayama in Japan ranked in my top wish list of my dream places to travel. Praise be to God for He had made my dream came true so that I have the opportunity to visit my dream place which I could not imagine. It was adventure especially this is my first time to travel alone although I love traveling but I have always been traveling in group.

I would like to share my experienced and itinerary with you of how to go to Shirakawa-go and Takayama, I can't say this is the best way but at least an idea and way that you can refer and compare to without much of your time to do research. I always dream of traveling around the world but I don't have much money to pay for luxury trip so I often plan to travel cheap. If travel cheap is what you are looking for then I believed this will inspire you with more ideas.

I have done a lot of research and comparison and checking out the transportation (better and cheaper way) to get to Shirakawa-go and Takayama. If you wish to try my way as your reference then following is my itinerary, information of booking the transportation in Japan, accommodation to be recommended and some tips of visiting Shirakawa-go and Takayama. I hope it will helps you to plan for your trip to visit the world heritage Shirakawa-go and Takayama. If you are willing and have more time for your holiday then I would suggest you to visit Kanazawa as well while you are visiting Shirakawa-go and Takayama because these places are just next to each other.

How and where to book your cheap air ticket for travel to Japan?


Before my solo trip to Shirakawa-go and Takayama I was first joined to travel with a group of friends to Japan for about 2 weeks earlier and my first stop was in Osaka then Okinawa then Shirakawa-go and Takayama then the last destination is in Tokyo. I have been always book my cheap air ticket on airasia.com. So at about 8 months time in advanced in around early April I have been started on checking out the promote air ticket on air asia. While waiting for the offer price, I was then recommended by a closed friend to check ANA airline (All Nippon Airline) for travel to Japan. ANA airline is a premium class of airline and the ticket is always expensive and it is not affordable for many budget travelers (including myself). However, ANA airline does offer very cheap air ticket at that time for advanced booking and I was quickly go to check the air ticket on the same day told by my friend and I am managed to grab the air ticket with very much cheaper price than what airasia is offering for ticket to fly off in December the peak holiday season. I've just paid (Malaysia Riggint) RM1,390 net all-in and no additional charges for my multi-city return ticket (KLIA to Osaka & Tokyo to KLIA). The air ticket inclusive of insurance, 23Kgs for check-in luggage, in-flight meal and drink, excellent service with premium seat for me to select in advance. ANA airline offering more options of destination point that you wish to travel but their first arrival destination is in Narita airport, Tokyo, then passengers need to transit in Haneda airport to other local destination, and I find that this is one of the most inconvenient way to transit with ANA airline because I need to go to Haneda airport to transit and it takes about an hour journey from Narita airport (p/s: I have to pay for the airport bus ticket from Narita airport to Haneda airport). In total it takes about one whole day (almost 15 hours including transit time) for me just taking the flight from Kuala Lumpur (KLIA) to Osaka. I believed there is nothing perfect but just a matter of give and take, overall it is still the cheapest way for me. If you wish to plan your first arrival destination in Nagoya, it is available via ANA airline


I was fly in Nagoya from Okinawa via Jet Airline, if you wish to plan to go to Okinawa in cheaper way you may look for my next write-up of "How to go to Okinawa?" soon.

Transportation from Nagoya => Shirakawa-go => Takayama => Shinjuku


I have chosen Nagoya as the nearest connecting point to go to Shirakawa-go by taking Gifu bus at Meitetsu Bus Center in the city of Nagoya. While there is no JR train can reach to Sirakawa-go directly, so you may either take bus from Nagoya depart for Shirakawa-go directly or if you plan to visit Takayama first then you can take JR train from Nagoya station to Takayama then transit bus to Shirakawa-go as alternative option. It is worthwhile to get JR Pass if you are traveling to many destination in Japan.

The bus tickets are limited sometimes so to play safe it is advisable to book bus ticket in advance before you travel in Japan. I have booked all my transportation tickets online in advanced. The bus ticket is open for booking one month before the departure date.

From Nagoya Meitetsu Bus Center to Shirakawa-go (2 hours 36 minutes) book bus ticket via www.gifubus.co.jp please click here for booking instruction to book your bus ticket and the one way adult bus fare is JPY3,900

From Shirakawa-go to Takayama (50 minutes) book bus ticket via https://japanbusonline.com please click here for the booking instruction to book your bus ticket and the one way adult bus fare is JPY2,470

From Takayama to Shinjuku, Tokyo (5 hours 30 minutes) book bus ticket via www.nouhibus.co.jp/english/ticket/ and the one way adult bus fare is JPY6,690 (the bus will stop every hour for toilet break and you can buy food at every stop). Please click here for booking instruction.

Below is how I organised my personal itinerary in table for my Japan trip (for sample reference only).


Little suggestions for your first travel in every new place


My first day arrival in Nagoya was in the late evening, so I have booked an accommodation via airbnb in advanced to stay a night in Nagoya nearest to Nagoya station. However, I do not recommend the accommodation that I stayed in Nagoya because it was really bad experienced to me. After checked in the accommodation that night, I went out for a light dinner and then decided to check out the bus terminal's actual location. Since this is my first visit to this place and not so familiar with the location of the Metitestu Bus Center so to play safe and save my time the next day for me to seek for the bus terminal. I took subway to Nagoya station after my dinner, when I have arrived Nagoya station I just realised the station is quite complicated that I have to walk for about 30 minutes following the direction site show towards the Meitetsu Bus Center (as I have loss somewhere in between as the site board direction is a bit confusing). I'm aware if taking transportation in Japan passengers must be punctual as the driver will depart on time. The bus ticket I booked was departure at 10am so I left from the accommodation at around 8am although it just take about 20 minutes for me to get to the Nagoya station but I need to walk another 15 to 20 minutes within the building to reach to the Meitetsu Bus center just try to be early rather than late. So my advice is that you just need a good time management if you are traveling in Japan.     


Tips for visiting Shirakawa-go


All buses from different location will stop at the Shirakawa-go information center. If your arrival time is earlier than your hostel or guesthouse check-in time then you can lock you luggage at the locker box (you just need to prepare some coins or notes) or you can temporary keep your luggage at the information center by register with the officer and there is a service charge for taking care your luggage. You can request Shirakawa-go village map as per the attached picture and start your sight seeing tour at Shirakawa-go village by walking out from the information center only.There are a few restaurants, convenient stores and hostels in the village. The hostel need to be booked in advanced and more about Shirakawa-go attraction point please click here

 



I spent 3 days and 2 nights here and I felt I have made the right plan as I really love this place and I met travelers from different countries and made friends with them. Shirakawa-go does not have many choices for accommodation but AntHut Guesthouse is really the best accommodation I would recommend. Although they offer only mixed dorm but the guests who stay there are all very nice. They have a small room (4 beds dorm) and a big room (10 beds room). The host is very nice, a welcome drink to be served on your arrival. AntHut guesthouse has a pick up service once a day from Shirakawa-go information centre at 5pm. Or you can choose to walk from the information centre to AntHut guesthouse for about 15 - 20 minutes (if your luggage is not that heavy). There is limited restaurant and convenient store nearby so as if you are planning to stay in AntHut guesthouse then I would advice you to prepare more food that is sufficient for your need during your stay. AntHut guesthouse does provide hot water, kitchen utensils for you to use and refrigerator for you to keep your food. The guesthouse has a small kitchen area where the guests can sit together and chit-chat with each other. There is only one bath room and 2 toilets for guests sharing so if you are planning to stay here then you need to get ready yourselves that this is not a hotel and no private toilet to be provided. The guesthouse can be checked out at anytime before 12pm and there is a mini bus stop for taking passengers to the information center to transit their buses to other destination (you need to prepare some coin to pay for the mini bus fare) or you can wave you valid travel pass card at the machine if you have the valid pass card.

If you decide to stay in AntHut guesthouse for 2 nights then I would suggest you to enjoy the surrounding area by riding a bicycle. You can ask the in-charge person of AntHut if you want to rent a bicycle with them. You may also check out more attraction point from the Shirakawa-go Information center.
 


A beautiful night sky look up from Shirakawa-go village.

Tips for visiting Takayama




Next destination in Takayama before heading to Tokyo. I have booked in advance to check-in a hotel named "Country Hotel Takayama" just opposite Takayama bus station (1 minute walk across the road only). Try not to book accommodation too far away to save your time to search for the place and far from the station that you need to rush off the next day. I spent a night in Takayama and to my surprise the hotel I booked was so nice with reasonable price at the convenient location as I do not need to carry my luggage to find my hotel and I just check out the hotel next day after finished my half day shopping nearby. When you walk down from the hotel you can start shopping at vicinity. The local most famous food you must try in Takayama is Hida beef, it is really unique and delicious and I would rate it the best quality beef I never try before. By the way, there are many other tasty local food you may try in Takayama as well. Last but not the least, you can actually walk around the Takayama city within a day, it is not very big area but very nice to spend a day and a night here. For more information about Takayama please click here

 



Tips for customize your own itinerary


If you have different arrival destination for example like your arrival is in Tokyo or Osaka. Both these cities are easy accessible to go to Shirakawa-go by transit at Takayama first. Check out the JR Pass to travel in Japan.


Comments